Holidays, 2015

Holidays, 2015
A Winter Scene - red door, a dusting of snow, and a vintage bicycle

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The big 3-0!

When my youngest daughter graduated from Vet School, I never thought she'd move away....

but she did.

Here she is in cap and gown at last year's graduation


I even made a graduation outfit for her dog Polaris....she named her that because Polaris is the North Star...her guiding light.  Here, Polaris posed like a champ right in front of the Vet School, along with a bronze cat and horse.  I hope you can see the humor in it!





Now, my daughter lives in California and sends me wonderful pictures of her going to amazing places like one of my favorite bakeries....I have this adorable cookbook.  



Miette

I miss hanging out with her, baking with her, and shopping with her, too....

Entering a cupcake baking contest

But, she's got an adventurous side, for sure....I would NEVER handle a snake, not even a pretend one.  That's just yucky.  But I guess if you're going to be a vet, you need to work with all kinds of animals...

When she worked at The Wilds in Ohio


She likes exotic animals, too....and she'll be traveling to Africa this summer to do more research on her PhD project.  She certainly keeps entertained!



She may be a doctor, a wife, a colleague, a friend, a neighbor...

but she's still my little girl...

so I was SO EXCITED when she said she was coming HOME to celebrate her 30th birthday with me!




So, while she was here, we went to a local nursery so I could give her some gardening tips, since she and her husband now have a garden of their own...


We went out to dinner to celebrate....


Another shot of a local nursery....but don't get any ideas...we do not plant here until after May 15th, unless you just want frozen plants!


We went shopping for bridesmaids' dresses, since she's going to be a bridesmaid in her sister's wedding. The colors are mint green and peachy-coral.


Of course, when she saw this baby goat....she just had to pick it up!


And, after dinner, we came home to dessert.  I had made her a genoise with pastry cream and whipped cream on top with fresh raspberries.  We also had some gelato, coffee, tea, milk


And then we opened presents.  She got a new water bottle....


Blew out her 3-0 candles


Got a new pitcher in her favorite color....


Even found some paw wrapping paper....


Had a great breakfast before they had to leave...

It was a whirlwind weekend...but on Monday, the 15th...
We woke up to this....


So, on the day she had to leave here to go home, they had a long, slow drive to the airport in the snow...

What a day...

And also the day of the Boston Marathon and all the horrific news that unfolded throughout the day....

Counting my blessings and not years

Grateful for her visit
The snow
The heroes
For Life

xoxo






































5 comments:

  1. Dearest Joann,
    I enjoyed reading/seeing this post filled with so much love and happiness! The big 3-0 is a milestone birthday and I'm glad you got to spend the day with your "baby"! The genoise cake you made looks scrumptious and picture-perfect! I am in love with the cake dome! Is that a little birdie on top? It is good to know that even in the midst of recent tragedies, there is still so much to be celebrated. You are truly blessed. Happy Thursday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Friend,

    What a lovely family you have! All your girls are just beautiful! That birthday cake looked amazing. I couldn't think of anything better then spending my birthday with my family. What a treat for all of you. It looks like you had a really great weekend!

    I loved Polaris in her cap and gown, she looked very regal. It is funny, these vet girls where ever you are with them, they migrate to animals and animals migrate to them.

    When my sister and her husband visited us we took them to a really old pub near us and sure enough we had no sooner finished eating and the pub cat jumped up into my sister's lap for a visit. He wanted nothing to do with the rest of us, he just wanted to meet her!

    Hope you are doing well,I know I keep saying this, but I owe you an e-mail, it will be forthcoming soon!
    Love,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful hearts beautiful souls beautiful family. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how fun to see Amanda's birthday marathon weekend. It all looks wonderful. I love the graduate dog as much as the cake. I can't always tell your girls apart and attach a name to the face but now at least I think I know the difference between Amanda and Cadie. By the way I held a snake--a REALLY big one--in school--was amazed he didn't feel slimy but was smooth and cool. Sounds like she's on her way to an amazing career. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Amanda!!! I LOVE the graduation picture of Polaris! What fun! Your 30th birthday celebration for her looked amazing with surprises packed into every moment. Even the snowstorm! Special memories for sure!

    xoxo Georgie

    ReplyDelete

I would absolutely LOVE to hear from you....It REALLY makes my day!