Holidays, 2015

Holidays, 2015
A Winter Scene - red door, a dusting of snow, and a vintage bicycle

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Don't be AFRAID....

I can't eat gluten...however, all of my family CAN, so once in awhile, I make something that they can eat that I can't and I'll improvise with the ingredients to feed myself.  Here's a dish that is super yummy....not LOW in calories, but you'll feel so satisfied, that you'll probably consume far few calories by having a smaller portion of this than a lot of other foods.  AND, it's got a lot of nutrients in it. 

Here's the RECIPE:

1 large sweet onion, roughly shopped
3 T organic olive oil
organic sea salt to taste ( I used approximately 1 t in this recipe)
smoked pepper ( I get this at a spice shop locally)
Organic smoked sea salt (about 1/2 teaspoon)
1 cup 1 percent milk
1 cup half and half
2 chicken breasts
1 pkg smoked salmon
1 small jar capers and 1/3 of the juice in the jar
2 pkgs organic ravioli with squash
2 cloves garlic


OK, here we go:

First, you're going to put the oil in a pan, warm it up and add your onions.  Add 2 cloves of minced garlic.  Stir til clear, not browned.  Next, add milk and half and half.  Good until bubbly but not full boil. 

Cut up two fully cooked chicken breasts.  Mine were baked with herbs de provence and lemon

Cut up the smoked salmon into rough bite-sized pieces


In a separate pot, boil your ravioli with pkg instructions.  Do not overcook.....
 This is the salmon I purchased for this recipe---just delicious
 Add capers, salt and pepper....so now you have the milk and half and half, chicken, salmon, spices and capers....when it thickens, add your ravioli.....heat through....you may have to add a little more milk if it thickens too much but you're all awesome cooks in the kitchen, so you'll know what to do, right?  Add additional spices if necessary....
 After it thickens, the ravioli gets coated with all of the ingredients....
 It is SO GOOD....I made a separate dish for me before adding the pasta and ate it with GF bread....OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're going to love it!!!!!!!!!!!!  You can also add mushrooms, other vegetables, or eliminate lox if you don't like it and just add more chicken....it's fantastic!!  Enjoy!!  xoxo

5 comments:

  1. Hello sweet Joann! It does look yummy indeed! I would join you & have it with bread, as I absolutely can't stand pasta with any kind of creamy sauce (bizarre, I know!) But it all looks delicious & good to have a recipe where you can all eat the same thing, with a few tweaks! Love you, happy weekend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Joann, this looks so delicious!!! I am a big veggie fan who can't eat seafood, so I will try it with the mushrooms and maybe some sundried tomatoes!!! Love and hugs, Sherry xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joann, your recipe looks and sounds so delicious! It definitely looks like something I would enjoy! I have to tell you, a few weeks ago, I cut back on pasta, rice, potatoes and bread, (carbs) but this recipe looks like one I'll have to make an exception for! Everything in moderation, as they say! Thank you for sharing it with us! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that sounds yummy (picture good too). I of course wouldn't eat the pasta or use skim milk but just use cream and a little chicken broth. Mushrooms would be a great sub for the pasta. Probably have to make some for Rich w/o the salmon but count me in on the fish. Yum-eeee!
    Thanks for a great recipe idea. I make something similar and we eat it over spaghetti squash which we really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

I would absolutely LOVE to hear from you....It REALLY makes my day!