** Secondly, FRESH is my preference, but to save money, buy fruits on sale when you can and freeze small bags to store away--that's the next best thing to fresh and they still taste incredible.
** Next, to have the MOST nutrition for the least amount of fat and/or calories, use organic non-fat PLAIN yogurt. It will taste awesome in your smoothie, even if you don't like to eat it plain.
** The food additive that I put in my smoothie, YOGA DETOX, is NOT a requirement. You can buy protein/whey/nutritional substitutes in Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage, or your favorite nutritional store, but read the ingredients carefully. You do not want to be adding any soy. We eat far too much soy in our diets already, so don't be adding any here first thing in the morning.
So, let's begin. First thing in the morning, you'll want to pour yourself a tall glass of clean fresh water...this can be from your tap if it's purified, OR buy distilled water. Add about 1/2 the juice from 1/2 of a fresh lemon and sip on this while you make your smoothie. The lemon in the water will cleanse your bowels and the lemon will help to take the acidic nature out of your system and make your system more neutral. I know it sounds counter-intuitive that an acid will make that happen, but it's true.
Lemon juice is also a major player in the 'master cleanse' diet that Demi Moore and her husband just did--it works, I promise. Buy some test strips at your local health store and check your pH w/ your saliva and urine BEFORE and AFTER doing this cleanse for a week. You'll see!!
I use a blender, but a food processor will work, too:
1. Spinach- fresh, organic, firm, dark green...throw a handful in after you've washed it.
2. Add a whole banana--now here's a place where you can use up a banana that maybe is past its freshest life cycle--in fact, the older ones are sweeter and will enhance the flavor of your smoothie--you can also freeze a 'getting old' banana and they will work just fine--your smoothie will just be COLDER!
3. Add some blueberries. Again, the amount depends on whether this is just for you, you and your friend/partner/spouse/kids OR you want to make some for later! 2 handfuls is good for me!
4. Add the yogurt: I use TWO HEAPING tablespoons of non-fat plain organic yogurt--the brand is not as important in a smoothie. I definitely have some favorites to eat plain.
|There are Many Varieties: choose your favorite!|
5. 2 T. YOGA DETOX or supplement of your choice that does not include SOY as an ingredient.