Holidays, 2015

Holidays, 2015
A Winter Scene - red door, a dusting of snow, and a vintage bicycle

Friday, August 27, 2010

The German White Glove Test

My mother is coming to visit in a couple of days and all of us want to have our homes looking their best but my mom is German.  'nuf said, right?  Yes, I've ironed my pillowcases, cleaned out the tracks in my windows, emptied my refrigerator....even washed the little curtains on the window in the garage! 


Many of you know that I want to own a bed and breakfast; this has been a dream/goal/passion for many years.  I have a room in the house I call 'The Bed and Breakfast" room--it's the guest room, but I just love walking past it---I fuss in it.  I guess that's what you'd call it---it's a mixture of log lodge, victorian farmhouse, and plush amenities.... (there's a bottle of Lollia's WISH on the antique dresser).  Let's just say that WISH is pretty special...


                                                                      


Well, with that said....I 'fuss' in that room in extra special ways when company's coming, but my German mom's coming and she doesn't come very often.  She's coming for the wedding and she's staying more than two days.  Not only did the sheets get ironed, but I sprayed them with lavender linen spray....I'm telling you, it smells good in there!


Mom likes lace..... 
I pulled back the coverlet to show the lacy pillowcase....I know, I know...

I've put out a fresh stock of unread magazines, the bathtub is sparkling clean, and the windows are getting washed tomorrow---couldn't do that TOO early---the wind might blow dust on them again! I washed the coverlet, the mattress pad....I mean EVERYTHING's been cleaned.  I've got to pass the white glove test.  No, she doesn't really come with white gloves, but she sees everything and she doesn't mind moving things to look for dust....
There's a fresh stock of neatly folded hand towels by the sink and Jurlique rose hand lotion will just beg for her to try it....she'll love it, by the way. 

I mean....doesn't everyone put doilies under their hand towel stand?

The 'bed and breakfast room' is called 'Moose Lodge'.....you might say that I like Moose, but we won't go into that too much right now....we're going to stick with the guest room, but the house has a significant amount of 'moose' items, you might say....

this is the 'rustic' part of the room...
The big log bed is cozy and I've tucked extra pillows nearby in case one is not enough.  I've emptied the closet so there's room for her clothes...it will be interesting to see what she decides to wear to the wedding.  I asked her a few days ago...in a German accent she said, "I'm vearing a black skirt; is long."  Is that it mom?  What are you wearing on top?  "I don really know...maybe a lil lace jacket".... that part scares me.  My mom is known to wear white stretch pants with a halter top; I'm seriously not joking...and she's like 82.  I may have to get a bigger corsage...just in case!

This is the Victorian meets rustic lodge part

An incredible seamstress friend made the little hearts for me...

I even have a little birdhouse named Moose Lodge in there!
                                                                                
                                                                  

Well, you're getting the message that I've tried to make it special for my mom; I want all my guests to feel special.  I called my mom today and told her how happy I was that she was coming...I got kind of teary as I explained how much it meant to me; I really did.  She couldn't hear me though and just said that she made a lot of cookies that she's bringing and that she's bringing me her old sewing machine because she doesn't really use it.  She's also bringing me her old bedspread because she got a new one and doesn't like this one anymore....and some dishes and glassware.  I'll take a picture of my china cabinet some day; I don't need any more dishes.  I have her Franciscan desert rose dishes in there now because she doesn't like them anymore...I've actually grown rather fond of them.  I recently used them for a tea party I put on for a child's 8th birthday party....all the girls brought their American Girls dolls...it was very special, actually.  Thank you Mom....I'll find a spot for the dishes that are coming...

                                                                        
                                                                    

                                                   
                                                                     
                                                                                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would absolutely LOVE to hear from you....It REALLY makes my day!