Holidays, 2015

Holidays, 2015
A Winter Scene - red door, a dusting of snow, and a vintage bicycle

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Gettin' Real! What's me and What Isn't me??

I think I've told you that's it's an annual tradition to go to California with my daughters....sometimes, it's with all three, if they can all make it; sometimes, two...on a few occasions, 1...but every time we go, we have a GREAT TIME!!

Here, in the middle of winter.....I'm going to 'go back' and revisit California.....and bring some sunshine and warmth to January in Colorado!!

I think you ALSO know that I'm re-fashioning myself from being a teacher into 'something else.'  I love to bake, garden, keep house.....hmmm, what can I do with that and get paid something?
  • innkeeper
  • personal chef
  • bakery shop owner
  • personal assistant
I'm wondering what the Universe has in store for me.  We've been looking for a bed and breakfast for years now and with the downturn of the economy, that idea has not come to fruition.  But, I'm open to a few other ideas.....if not a bed and breakfast....how about a retreat?  If not a bakery shop owner, then why not a tea shop owner....or, something else!!

In the process of trying to figure this all out, I'm doing my research.  I've visited dozens and dozens of b&b's.  I've had afternoon tea at about a dozen places, including the Fairmont in Banff Springs, Canada.  I've also frequented dozens of small coffee and tea shops to try and figure out which is 'me' and which ISN'T me!  Bakeries, too.  Colors, lighting, decorating, style.....


Wonderland Bakery, Newport Beach, CA
 Well, in the process of looking, I came across a really over the top bakery in California. It's cute, pink, and has a lot to offer and they are planning on opening a 2nd location further north. But, this style is not me. I like so many different things that I'm actually happy I've found a style I don't want to look like. It's a bit too fru-fru....and I don't want to cater just to children. But, take a look see and see for yourself. We bought a few of their baked goods and found them to be quite good....but this place is someone else's dream.






dishes, cupcake holders, lunch boxes, tiaras

we were there in September, so Halloween things were out

cookies, brownies, and other desserts as well as cupcakes

beyond fancy---each is a work of art

aprons and tutu's too!! ( say that fast 3 times!)

even stuffed animals that have 'stuffed' cupcakes!

and one-of-a-kind party hats-

Well, off I go to dream of what I am to be tomorrow.....after I re-line the pantry shelves and start to replace cabinets with food instead of having boxes scattered all about the living room! If I'm going to recreate me, I've got to get this place in order!! :)


Empty now....but just you wait!!
                                                                     

4 comments:

  1. Wow what a wonderful post... I am sure you will really enjoy your time in California..it certainly is so much nicer (weather wise). We use to love to visit Newport Beach.. Especially down by the water... Good for you and your dreams..we all must have them:) Hope you find just the thing you want to do.. Enjoy your girls...

    Blessings...
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post Joann, I am sure whatever you decide to become whether it be a shop owner/ baker or personal chef, you will be very competent and wonderful. You know what you like and do it so well.
    Nice way to have mother/daughter time with your girls.xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Joann,

    What you create will be ALL YOU. As it should be.

    B & B businesses are a lot of work-often it is hard to make ends meet. I owned a business for years and every weekend my tiny shop made more money than a huge B & B up the hill. After she factored in food, linens, desk help, cleaning....I think a tea room is a GREAT idea. I've thought of doing that myself since I'm a tea drinker.

    It is 75 here in SLO, California today. Hope you find sunshine and warmth.

    Fondly,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete

I would absolutely LOVE to hear from you....It REALLY makes my day!